Saturday, September 12, 2009

Texas school disctrict turns away students from Mexico

I found this article very interesting when I found it online. I thought it was rather bold of the new superintendent to just now want to try to stop this situation. If it is a known fact that those students are coming every day to school there, why would he choose just now to stop it? And how is he going to figure out who truly lives somewhere or who doesn't? There are many people who live with family or friend's whose names aren't on bills or leases, so to say you must provide one of those as proof of residency is rather unfair. I myself live with friends and my name is on none of the bills, but I still help pay for them. There needs to be a workaround method of confirming residency besides using bills or leases. While I do agree that the situation needs to be dealt with in the first place, because the tax-payers are paying for children who don't live in the area to go to the school. What I found most interesting of all, was that at the end of the article, they seemed to be most focused on the money issue. That because they were excluding all these children from the school system, they would lose money. And to top it all that they would charge tuition to families just to go to school. Whatever happened to FREE schooling?

1 comment:

  1. this article made me really sad since I know what school in Latin America can be like, most of them are out of session because state paid teachers don't get their pay on time and stop teaching. This families only want what is best for their kids and not having proof of residency should not be enough to deny a child of education, specially since every child under the age of 16 is required to attend school.

    ReplyDelete